Thursday, June 2, 2011

The end of training is near!

Hello everyone! 


Day 3 (5/25):  
Traditions was a fairly long class, but it was a very beneficial experience. We learned about the history of Disney, and how even Walt Disney experienced some roadblocks throughout his life. When he was in the process of building one of the parks (I can't remember which one) he had to chose between having water fountains or a plumbing system. (FYI:  He chose the plumbing system) Even though he experienced many challenges during his life he never gave up. 


The common goal of the Disney Cast Members:  We create happiness by providing the finest in entertainment for people of all ages everywhere. When we're at work we're "onstage" because we are part of the show. We make the magic! :) This is why we're called Cast Members. The four keys Cast Members need to remember at all times are:  Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency. This was drilled into us! About half way through the class we went to Magic Kingdom and got to walk through the underground passageways. So cool! We walked around the park for a bit looking for the four keys being put to use by the Cast Members. Afterwards we came back for some more learning, and then we had a surprise guest come to our classroom...the one and only Mickey Mouse! :) He was there to deliver our name tags, which I thought was pretty awesome. Seeing my name tag and putting it on was so surreal. Whether I was watching video clips of Walt Disney or watching the excitement of kids when they found out they were going to Disney, I got the goosebumps because I knew I was going to be a part of this amazing corporation. I've been to Disney so many times, and I've created countless memories with my family there. I want to give back, and make sure families have the same (I'm going to go ahead and say it) magical experiences. 


Day 4 (5/26):    
I had my Core Recreational Class today. This class concentrated more on my field of work. Since I'm a lifeguard, I'm part of the Recreation group. We learned more in depth information about Recreation at Disney, and how Safety is the most important key for ourselves and the guests. That evening I went to Hollywood Studios with my roommates and had a blast! I really enjoy the perk of getting in for free! :) 


Day 5 (5/27):
I had my first day of lifeguard class. It was from 8am-5pm with a one hour lunch break. We had a few short breaks here and there, but they kept us busy the entire day. We practiced saves in the water, learned CPR, and went through a bunch of other information. Later in the evening my roommates and I attempted to watch Fantasmic at Hollywood Studios, but the rain prevented us from doing so. lol We were absolutely drenched by the time we got back to our car, but that made for a good memory. :)


Day 6 (5/28):
Day 2 of lifeguard training. The same as yesterday, but new information, and we learned how to use the backboard. 


Day 7 (5/29):
Day 3 of lifeguard training. This was our final day, and also our test day. We had some time at the beginning to practice CPR, etc. Then we had our team test in the water. A scenario was created, and we had to respond like it was a real emergency. Our team had to use the backboard, perform CPR, and use the AED. Then we had to complete a written test of 60 multiple choice questions. The final test was CPR (adult, child and infant). I passed all the tests and received my deep water lifeguard license at the end of the day! I was so relieved! I went out to eat with my parents for dinner to celebrate! 


Day 8 (5/30):  
My first day off! I spent the morning with my parents before they headed home. I went to the Wilderness Lodge to pick up my costumes! (when I say costume I mean my uniform) Then I went to the pool with one of my roommates and relaxed (it was so great!). That evening I went to Downtown Disney with some of my roommates for margaritas, and that was a great way to end the day. 


Day 9 (5/31):
I had orientation at the Wilderness Lodge (WL). We learned about the history, information, their vision, mission, etc. We were shown where the hidden mickeys were, and given a tour of the resort. From 6-8pm there was a Welcome Pool Party at Patterson Court. The place was packed! 


Day 10 (6/1):
I had orientation at Fort Wilderness (FW), Bay Lake Tower (BLT), and the Contemporary (CT). We were given a tour and learned a great deal of information at each resort. I went to Hollywood Studios again and went on a number of rides. I still need to get to the other parks! 


Day 11 (6/2):
Today is my first day of On the Job Training (OJT). I finally get to wear my lifeguard costume! I'll be at FW and WL today. Tomorrow I have a day off, and then I have my final OJT on Saturday at BLT and CT. Then I'll officially start work on Monday!!! :)

Note:  Acronyms are a big thing down at Disney, and I will be using them in my blog. :)


Thanks for reading!

Erica




No comments:

Post a Comment